204 Beech Avenue, now

Friday 21 May 2010

I have expressed my opinion, as is my right to do so. I did not start a "campaign against" the Teehans, or their building of a new home that they've every right to have. I've expressed my opinion regarding the saving of 204 Beech, as is my right to do so. I've never personally, or publically, verbally attacked the Teehans. I have looked for others who share my opinion not based on sentimentality...as is my right to so.
Many exist.
Others have missed the above points..intentionally, or not.
It is noteworthy on more than one count what a small army of Tweeters in their imaginary war can accomplish in a very short time, almost the blink of an eye. Closely following and then showing support for their leader is one. Realistic or unrealistic results of a poll, another. Many comments were deleted yesterday because of their personally offensive, distasteful, insulting and intimidating nature.
Nevertheless, I thank you for all of them! Though not exactly enlightening, they were very revealing.Perhaps yet another accomplishment.

As it appears that the blog has provided a forum for a verbal battle that can only cause undue stress to some, I will soon be removing it. Undue stress was never the intention.

Making sure my voice was heard in the matter, was.
And my opinion remains the same.
Kirstin

Another artist's rendition

Another artist's rendition
Hi folks,

Please read the following. I have highlighted the criteria we think apply.

ONTARIO REGULATION 9/06


CRITERIA FOR DETERMINING CULTURAL HERITAGE VALUE OR INTEREST

Criteria

1. (1) The criteria set out in subsection (2) are prescribed for the purposes of clause 29 (1) (a) of the Act. O. Reg. 9/06, s. 1 (1).

(2) A property may be designated under section 29 of the Act if it meets one or more of the following criteria for determining whether it is of cultural heritage value or interest:

1. The property has design value or physical value because it,

i. is a rare, unique, representative or early example of a style, type, expression, material or construction method,

ii. displays a high degree of craftsmanship or artistic merit, or

iii. demonstrates a high degree of technical or scientific achievement.

2. The property has historical value or associative value because it,

i. has direct associations with a theme, event, belief, person, activity, organization or institution that is significant to a community,

ii. yields, or has the potential to yield, information that contributes to an understanding of a community or culture, or

iii. demonstrates or reflects the work or ideas of an architect, artist, builder, designer or theorist who is significant to a community.

3. The property has contextual value because it,

i. is important in defining, maintaining or supporting the character of an area,

ii. is physically, functionally, visually or historically linked to its surroundings, or

iii. is a landmark. O. Reg. 9/06, s. 1 (2).